Here are the keypoints and takeaways from Just Shut Up and Do It: 7 Steps to Conquer Your Goals Book by Brian Tracy:
- A company’s most valuable asset is what people say about the company, and its services, to other customers or potential consumers - Reputation
- The most important part of your reputation is your ability to start and complete important tasks and be known for speed and dependability.
- According to Aristotle behind every goal there is another goal, until you finally reach the main goal, which is to be happy.
- You can measure your level of success by what percentage of time you are a genuinely happy person.
- Happiness is the progressive realization of a worthy goal or ideal.
Biggest Obstacles to Success
- 95 percent of what you do, or fail to do, is determined by your habits
- Habits: the way you are programmed as a result of your lifetime of experience
- The biggest obstacles to success is negative habits, that hold you back from realizing your full potential
- Habits can be unlearned and replaced with new, positive and constructive habits.
- The worst habits off all are based on your self-limiting beliefs.
- These are areas where you believe yourself to be limited in some way even though it is not true.
The Root of Helplessness
- Like the Indian elephant, 80 percent of the population become passive b/c during their childhood experience their parents begin to tell us “No!” or “Stop that” or “Get away from there!” or “Don’t touch that!” and sometimes back them up with physical punishment. Later on, the growing child would soon start to feel, incompetent, incapable, weak, and afraid to try anything new or different.
- Bad habits are easy to form but hard to live with and Good habits are hard to form but easy to live with.
- Eliminate excuses by eliminating failure’s language from your vocabulary.
- Refuse to say things like “I’ll try” or “I’ll do my best.”
- Refuse to live on Fantasy Island and say things like “Someday I’ll.”
Take Charge of Your Life
- You have to accept 100 percent responsibility for the person you are today, for everything you have accomplished or haven’t accomplished
- Escape from Dependency, don’t ever think that someone is coming to the rescue.
- Get rid of your negative emotions, so your mind will automatically be filled with positive emotions like peace, joy, and happiness
- Stop blaming others. Whenever you feel angry or upset about anyone or anything say “I am responsible” = The words “I am responsible” put you back in the driver’s seat.
- As you accept responsibility and think of all the reasons why you were responsible, your negativity disappears and you learn through that experience.
- The rule of happiness is to never be upset or angry about something that you cannot change.
Dare to Go Forward
- One of the most important requirements for success is action orientation.
- Action orientation: is the internal motivation to get going immediately on a goal or project.
- The biggest obstacle to taking action immediately is fear of failure, loss, embarrassment, criticism, or ridicule.
- The antidote to fear is self-confidence, which gives you the energy, enthusiasm, and drive to overcome any obstacles, in the pursuit of you goal
- The way you overcome your fear and develop unshakable levels of courage and self-confidence is to deliberately do the very thing you fear, over and over, until the fear is gone.
- Never do anything b/c you are afraid of what the other person may think of you. B/c the fact is, no one is thinking about you at all.
- Use the word learning experience instead of the word failure.
Four Steps to Success
- Decide what you want to do.
- Take action immediately.
- Fail and learn quickly.
- Try it again, over and over, until you succeed.
Decide What You Really Want
- You become what you think about, so if you want to change something in your outer world, you have to go to work on the one thing in the entire world that you can control your thoughts.
- People only begin to become great when they decide upon their major definite purpose in life.
- One of the worst mistakes you can make is thinking you have a goal when really it is a wish.
- When you begin to focus single-mindedly on your most important goal, you start to make progress on all your other goals simultaneously.
- All success come from task completion, from getting started on a job and completing it as soon possible.
- Like other habits procrastination is also a learned behavior and this habit is the reason why most people don’t succeed.
- From now on, consciously decide that you will not do low-value activities until you have completed your higher-value tasks.
Become a Lifelong Learner
- The main obstacles to success are doubts and fear and knowledge and skills are the only antidotes.
- Many of the biggest mistakes that people make come from acting without having gathered enough information.
- Use the law of probabilities to generate multiple streams of luck.
- The law of probabilities states that there is a probability that anything can happen.
- By using probability equations, the likelihood of almost anything happening can be calculated with tremendous accuracy. - Throwing darts at the dashboard.
- Do more and more things that will increase the probabilities of you becoming rich.
- Gather more knowledge and skills to increase the probabilities of you becoming rich.
Never Give up
- There are two parts of success: the first is get started and the second one is keep going.
- The more you persist, the stronger you become. And the more you're able to persist.
- The more you discipline yourself to persist in the face of adversity, the more you will like and respect yourself.which makes you feel more powerful.
- Every failure of persistence and self-discipline weakens you in in every other area as well.
- Program your subconscious mind to never give up so when a setback occurs it will remind you that you said you will never give up even if you forget about.
- Simply repeat the words “I am unstoppable!” to yourself, over and over. Then, no matter what happens, refuse to stop until you achieved your goal.
- This is a great time to be alive if you're striving to have financial freedom.